2114 explosion

Fri Apr 5 14:31:48 EDT 2019

I checked the NWHS  archives database for fusible plug and found only
three documents, all drawings, two of which were for stationary
boilers.   The other one was N&W drawing A9402, dated 7/30/08 for a Shay
locomotive, probably N&W No. 56, built 1907 for N&W, sold 1915.  This
drawing showed a threaded brass plug (Patt. No. 11861) with a tin core.
The lack of documentation in the NWHS archives on fusible plugs for any
other N&W locomotives leads me to believe that the N&W did not use
fusible plugs other than on that one Shay.

Gordon Hamilton

---