Unusual steam

Mon Mar 9 21:23:12 EDT 2020

Roger -

All engines had a blowoff cock at the front corner of the mud ring.  They used to blow down engines at Bristol for about ten seconds while they were being serviced.  The bottom blowoff “muffler” was used while a locomotive was under way.  If you have the A book, the muffler can be seen on the 1200 whle it was posed on the Roanoke Shops turntable before the tender was coupled up.  The word muffler was misleading.  Nothing got muffled very much.

The object of blowing an engine down was to get rid of any sludge or other foreign stuff that might have collected in the lowest part of the water space surrounding the  firebox.

- Ed King