Question for Ed King

Tue Jun 9 20:04:13 EDT 2020

Very odd. Why would you promote water going into a bearing surface? Seems that would disrupt[t lubrication to the bearing and cause it to run hotter or gall.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

Archives Locator drawing NW Mech Dwg.-C32372 is titled "Water Line to Journal Boxes Loco. Tenders, with T - 27. and T - 40 Trucks."  It shows a pipe nipple tapped into the bottom corner of the tender cistern over the front truck feeding a globe value then a pipe tee with a 6'-6" hose attached to the forward end of the tee with a pipe plug in the training end of the tee.  A note reads, "One hose to be carried on each side of tender."  Over the rear trucks there is a similar arrangement of the pipe nipple tapped into the bottom corner of the water cistern, a globe valve, and a pipe tee, but with both outlets plugged and no hose!  So, it looks as though the hose are for water, not lubrication, but the drawing posed more questions that it answers about the need for the hoses.

Gordon Hamilton