N&WHS Volunteers Requested

Thu Jul 30 08:01:17 EDT 2020

Volunteers Requested Beginning August 10!

Beginning on Monday morning, August 10, I will be in Roanoke to lead the effort to move of materials from GOB-East to the N&WHS Archives on Salem Ave. and a new space we have leased at 2240 Shenandoah Ave. We need as many volunteers as we can get; it would be nice if everyone had tools and a truck! Several volunteers a day would be excellent. I anticipate needing multiple days to get the area prepared with shelving set up. We are still working with NS regarding access to our space at GOB-East.

The first order of business will be moving and installing shelving, then moving books, and other material from our existing Salem Ave. facility to the new Shenandoah space (which is conveniently located on the other side of the tracks, just beyond the Shaffers Crossing underpass). This is necessary in an effort to create better flow and some working space. We have hired a fencing contractor (at a reasonable rate) to erect a six-foot security perimeter for the new Shenandoah location. Due to the fencing contractor’s busy schedule, the fencing will not be installed until later at Shenandoah Avenue.

As for GOB-East, we will concentrate packing the easy to get to material into manageable boxes first and hire professional movers to handle the heavy stuff after Labor Day (when their rate is $100 an hour less). As of this writing, we have been granted a 90-day extension by Norfolk Southern, which will expire October 30th. As we said, we are still working with NS regarding what and when we can access GOB-East.

I have negotiated a nightly rate of $49.99 with the Motel Six that is located just off of I-81 Exit 137 in Salem. At the bottom of either ramp, turn right on Wildwood Road and the Motel 6 is just down the street on the right. It is convenient to Salem eateries and shopping centers along Route 11/460/West Main Street.

While rather rudimentary– and certainly not The Hotel Roanoke or The Greenbrier–it is, nonetheless, clean and functional. Rooms have cable TV, and a microwave and refrigerator are provided. Most importantly, I have stayed there many times without encountering bed bugs!

Each morning, we will report to the N&WHS Salem Ave. archives at 8:30 a.m., with the work to commence shortly thereafter. Refreshments and lunch will be provided; there will also be breaks in the morning and afternoon.

As long as this COVID-19 Pandemic continues, social distancing will be practiced and masks must be worn while on NS and N&WHS premises at all times.

I look forward to working with fellow members and others who wish to participate, Please contact me at 304-633-8512 or send an email to: caseyatkenova at aol.com. Thanks!

Respectfully

TIM HENSLEY
President, N&WHS