Tender truck piping

Thu Jul 30 16:48:48 EDT 2020

Matt,

Most of us like a mystery like this one about the reason for the water
pipes to the journal boxes of tender trucks.  So, here is another tender
truck mystery.  In searching the NWHS Archives database I came across a
couple of drawings that show the details (Dwg C45693) and arrangement
(Dwg D36645) of a 20-vane fan mounted on the dust-guard seat of an axle
of an N&W Class T-104 plain-bearing tender truck.  The component is
termed a "Dust Deflecting Fan" on the arrangement drawing and a "Thrust
Ring Fan" on the detail drawing, and it is shown mounted on the axle
dust guard seat, meaning that the fan would rotate with the axle.  This
fan would take the place of the conventional dusk guard that slipped
into a pocket at the back of the journal box and formed somewhat of a
seal with the rotating axle.  This conventional seal was intended to
keep oil in the journal box and dust and dirt out, but was only
partially successful in doing that (particularly keeping oil in when
coal cars were rotary dumped).  Because the conventional dust guard was
not entirely successful, this apparently led someone to try to build a
"better mousetrap" in the form of the dust defecting fan, which the N&W
apparently incorporated in at least a trial application.

Does anyone know how successful this unusual dust deflecting fan was and
whether there were more applications than just one or two test applications?

Gordon Hamilton