N&W Class S-1 Sleepers;

Wed Nov 18 12:00:28 EST 2020

 The Cor-Ten was only below the belt rail, and these appear to be the only "slab side" cars ever built with Cor-Ten. All other Budd slab sides had a couple of gooves with small inserts covering the area where rivets (or bolts) were used to attach the stainless panels. Why the N&W cars used Cor-Ten is a mystery, but they were almost the first, if not the first, Budd cars to have "slab sides." So maybe it was a learning curve. As to the removal of the center skirts, this took place in the early to mid 50's and waspart of a general removal of skirts on all the lightweight cars. So it may or may not have coincided with the removal of the Cor-Ten.
Jim Nichols