N&W Class S-1 Sleepers;

Wed Nov 18 15:10:46 EST 2020

Jim,

Being from (and still living in) Scioto County, I’d LOVE to see the picture you have of that car. I have looked for years and no luck. Thanks!

Jim Detty

Lucasville, Ohio

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 7:30 PM
To: NW Mailing List; NW Modeling List
Subject: N&W Class S-1 Sleepers;

I want to build a model of the N&W Class S-1 Sleepers, which were built by the Budd Company, circa 1950.

These cars were all originally built with skirts; my research notes indicate these cars were originally built with Cor-Ten steel plates and there was a serious problem with corrosion; in 1954 authorization was given to replace those steel plates with stainless steel plates.

I am trying to determine when the skirts were removed from these cars; it seems to me the skirts would have been removed at the same time the plates were replaced.  I have an undated photo of the Scioto County without skirts; my notes indicate its plates were replaced in June 1954.

I have a photo of the Hampden-Sydney College in Petersburg on June 21, 1955 and it still has skirts; my notes indicate it received the corrosion repairs in July 1956.

Does anyone have more definitive information or photos of these cars?

Many thanks.

Jim Brewer