Montgomery Tunnels

Mon Dec 13 12:04:59 EST 2021

Mike,

I can only think of two right off. They are both very nice color photos
c.1954 by August Thieme on pg. 75 of Norfolk and Western Steam in Color
by McClure and Plant. They both show the track arrangement east of the
east portal but not the portal itself. Fairly rare photos because as
others have mentioned, few photographers ventured in that far off US
460. Thieme seemed to have walked everywhere between Roanoke and
Bluefield. Note: The second photo is incorrectly identified. It appears
to be train 45 westbound, not train 10 eastbound.

Hope this helps, John Garner

A--Does anyone or the Archive have a picture of the East Portal of
Montgomery Tunnel?B--Is Montgomery, Virginia where the Montgomery
Tunnels are?  I figure they are in Montgomery County since they are near
Christiansburg but small towns aren't always on a map.
Thank you in advance, Mike Shockley