portable "step boxes"

Tue Oct 25 22:34:54 EDT 2022

Abram, I'm enjoying your imaginative musings.

When I see the pix I simply wish I could hear what 'pearl-of-wisdom' the
porter just shared with that young man.

Anyone who has ever experienced the wit, graciousness, and service of a
top-drawer Pullman porter is blessed.

John Garner

_____________________________

Thank you for posting that delightful photograph, Herr Garner !

There are elements in the photo which cry out for comment.

The young kid at right is a railfan.  He has just offered the Pullman
Porter a crisp $1 bill for the step box.  The Porter, a good business
man, has said:  Make it two bucks, kid, and you can take it home!  Do
you think they will meet somewhere in the middle ?

The Flagman, at left, is thinking to himself:  The Timetable Special
Instruction says that if a train is detained more than two minutes doing
station work in automatic block territory, the Flagman must hoof it back
and provide flag protection until recalled by whistle signal.  But the
rear of my train is in Interlocking Limits, so that requirement does not
apply.  Oh, and look at the Flagman's nice, Silver cap braid and
buttons.  If the deal for the step-box does not go through, perhaps the
kid can at least go home with some Silver buttons...

And just look at that lovely Tuscan Red paint on the Pullman, which is
(probably) owned by another Tuscan-using railroad several hundred miles
to the north.  Is N&W's flavor of Tuscan Red prettier, or not ...?

-- abram burnett
Federal Consolidated Omnibus Turnip Infrastructure Improvement Program