Last Train 18

Mon Nov 21 11:17:13 EST 2022

Larry and John:Consist and crew data came from an N&W document dated May 1.  As I recall, the engineer had Norfolk Division seniority, so the information is for the Roanoke-Lynchburg-Monroe movement.  Sorry I couldn't identify the car behind the engine -- I didn't have my Official Guide to Passenger Equipment at hand.  During the last week of operation, N&W suddenly became aware that there would be no way to dead head roadway maintenance crews to the work sites.  Apparently that was the reason the "employee only" passenger extra was operated on the following Monday. After that, crews were bussed to the work site.  When laying welded rail near Disputanta, the work crews worked four 10-hour days that allowed them more time at home (many road maintenance employees lived in Portsmouth).  They would go off duty on Thursdays in time to catch No. 3 and return on No. 4 on Sundays.           Harry Bundy