Milepost differnces

Tue Nov 22 20:54:25 EST 2022

Alex

    Answered so well .    I going save this next time its asked going use your answer (comes about once a year)

Hope life is doing you well

Larry Evans

Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 3:04 PM
To: 'NW Mailing List' <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: RE: Milepost differnces

Mileposts in West Virginia were changed in 1891, as the Ohio Extension was being built, to read miles from Norfolk, rather than miles from Bluestone Junction. Naugatuck is MP N-484.37 and Kenova is MP N-567.92 via the 12-Pole Line. Mileposts have not been changed since then with the exception of the Elkhorn Tunnel realignment. What has changed is the distance between mileposts due to track realignment over the years.

The 1916/1917 Chain survey of the Pocahontas Division, the basis for the division track charts, showed the distance from Bluefield to Williamson had dropped from 108.91 miles to 103.10 miles. Table 8-1 on Page 226 of the “N&W in West Virginia ~ 1881 to 1959” shows the distance between MPs as measured in 1917 and 1990 for MP N361.09 where the Pocahontas Division starts in Bluefield and MP-470 where the Pocahontas Division ended in Williamson. Some miles are short miles (less than 5,280 feet) and long miles (greater than 5,280 feet), but the mileposts are where were placed in 1891.

An exception is the Elkhorn Tunnel realignment that ended at the west end of Bridge No. 858 that was located at MP N378.74,.which was equivalent to old MP N379.94. The N&W decided to remove the old MPs between Bridge No. 858 and N-386 and eliminate MP 385 on the Lick Branch realignment. This results in the distance between MP N384 and N386 being 2,182 feet.

On the Big Sandy Line MP Na 0.00 is set at MP N384 at Naugatuck and MP Na 59.16 at Kenova equal to N568. In 1924 Kenova was listed as 567.92 miles from Norfolk via the 12-Pole line and 543.51 miles from Norfolk via the Big Sandy Line. In 1959Kenova was listed as 525.83 miles from Norfolk by actual distance.

The original Stations and Sidings lists used mileposts miles at least through 1924. The 1939 lists and subsequent use actual miles from Norfolk  for billing points. If billing points change at a location the mileage would change.

A history of the 12-Pole Line and the Big Sandy Low Grade, including its surveys, predecessor railroads, rationale for construction, and removal where appropriate,  are discussed in “The Norfolk & Western in West Virginia 1881 – 1959,” which may still be available from the NWHS commissary.

Alex Schust