Milepost differences

Mon Nov 21 13:57:15 EST 2022

I am familiar with the Twelve Pole line. It was closed down in September 1933.
Everything I have is from 1950 up so the Twelve Pole line would not have effect on the milepost now.
The stations and sidings books I showed have milepost with a 40 mile difference than the track chart or drawings.
Even drawings from the early 1900's have Hanging Rock at 583 and that would be with the Twelve Pole Line and the Big Sandy line together. Which raises another question. When mileage from Norfolk to Kenova, Portsmouth, Columbus with both lines still open, which line was the mileage to said cities used for mileage.
I have been studying more on the line from Kenova to Portsmouth lately, which has a fascinating and old history behind it.

Jeff Wood