Last Train 18

Tue Nov 22 10:22:47 EST 2022

Business car 101 never carried a name until it became the "Dynamics Test
Car" in 1979/1980. Prior to that it had been the business car for Harold
Carter, Superintendent Norfolk Division.

Larry, You are correct. Train 18's schedule had been greatly changed
from a early 6:10 AM arrival into Roanoke c.1964, to a 10:55 AM arrival
c.1971. If 18 and 4 were on time, there were 15 minutes to make
connections. No.s 3 and 17 also made connections in Roanoke around 8 PM
c.1971.

No.17 of April 30, according to schedule, arrived at Bristol just past
midnight on May 1. This equipment needed to be turned and in Lynchburg
for a 1:30 PM Southern Ry. Train 18, May 1 departure. I wouldn't be
surprised if this equipment wasn't deadheaded east well ahead of the
Train 4's arrival into Roanoke for the final time.

John Garner, Newport VA

Harry: The Claytor Lake was 500. The 101 had been converted from a diner
in the '30's.
Jim Nichols

  Harry, I don’t believe that 5:30am time is correct. I don’t have
timetables from back then handy (in the middle of what will end up being
a 6+ month move and they’re with the moving company) but I recall in the
months leading up to A-Day, 4 and 18 (and 3 and 17) were scheduled to be
in Roanoke at the same time allowing connections between them.
-- Larry Stone   Sent from my iPhone