1890 N&W Reference Guide

Tue Dec 13 16:23:07 EST 2022

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Craig wrote:

> So I have to read thru this booklet, especially for Roanoke and New River.
> What was the early trackage around Radford? There is evidence that there
> was a second bridge crossing the New (per page 37). Where did those tracks
> go? Also, there is a long-disused bridge on the east side of Radford. Where
> did those tracks go? thanks

See https://nwhistory.info/locations/OldMainLine/index.php for info about
the original main line to the coal fields, which used that second bridge.

The long-disused bridge was built to serve an American Viscose fibers
plant. The plant was built, eventually became Avtex Fibers, and in the late
'70s was shut down and sold to AT&T for their manufacturing needs. The
plant never did get rail service, although a roadbed was graded on the
other side of the river.

Bruce in Blacksburg