Air Brushing

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat May 27 08:45:23 EDT 2023

In my post yesterday I used the terms acrylics and lacquers. More properly
I should have used water-based and solvent-based, as I understand there are
some "acrylic lacquers".

Solvent-based paints will have a small flame-like symbol on the label;
water-based do not.

And to further confuse things, there are "thinners" for water-based paints,
such as Vallejo, and "thinners" for solvent-based paints, such as Mr.
Color, Scalecoat, Tamiya. The two thinner types are not the same.

And while the availability is now an issue, Scalecoat, in my experience, is
still the best paint I have ever used for brass models. And I always use
the Scalecoat thinner for it. It takes a few days to dry and then cure, but
it is a hard, durable finish. Solvent-based.

Bill

*Bill McClure*
*www.billmcclure.smugmug.com* <http://www.billmcclure.smugmug.com>

*www.mcclureimages.com <http://www.mcclureimages.com>*