[om-list] Re: Cyc example

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Sat Sep 30 11:18:49 EDT 2000

Tom and other Packers wrote:

>     Therefore, (I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page),
> identical names is not a sufficient criterion for making the associated
> nodes identical.

If it is a identical *formal* name in an identical formal namespace, then two
entities are identical by definition.

>     Conjecture: all knowledge can be represented as a list of expressions,
> each of which is a combination of (possibly nested) three-token lists.

I agree, but just because you can represent all knowledge that way, doesn't
mean it is a good thing to be forced to.  You can store English in a binary
tree, for example, but it is much more convenient to store it in an n-ary tree
like LISP people usually do.

In regards to the meta-meta-model design decision, the main disadvantage is
that with a meta-meta-model, we will be unable to use conventional database
technology because it will be much too slow.

- Mark

--
Mark Butler	       ( butlerm at middle.net )
Software Engineer