[om-list] Re: Logical equivalence [ and meeting followup]

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Mon Dec 4 09:48:23 EST 2000

After a week of being back from 2 trips I'm getting caught up on things.

To finally meet Mark and Tom was a real pleasure, and thanks to Mark's
abilities we will soon have a documented low-level meta-model for our
ongoing effort. The value of this is tremendous, to have something that
we all agree on, and can actually start to work with!! Mark and Tom's
comments were invaluable. Maybe next time we can meet in Logan w/ Lee or
something.

Just to document it on the list:  Mark, I totally agree with your
statements on modeling thoughts, beliefs, and ideas, in addition to
observations.

I found the software for UML modeling, and hope it's useful. Maybe it
overlaps enough with an ER diagram to start. I'm interested to know what
you think of the whiteboard (no-cost) edition. I tried a previous
version and this definitely seems like something we can use on all
platforms, and with headroom to grow into rather than out of. I'm not
totally sure if it will meet your immediately modeling need though, so
I'm curious as to what you think:

www.togethersoft.com

The registration prior to download is lightweight. I started downloading
their "control center" edition because I haven't spotted the link to the
actual "whiteboard" (no-cost) version yet, but maybe the whiteboard
version is inside the other one.

Mark Butler wrote:

> Luke wrote:
>> Do you still envision storing primarily logical sentences (so as to use propositional or predicate calculus); vs. storing primarily the literal facts & observations they represent, together with the "original text" somehow attached as source material?
> The catch is that arbitrary statements are considerably harder for a query
> engine to analyze, but I think that is a reasonable tradeoff given the
> alternatives of either banning them completely or representing them in a way
> inaccessable to the query engine itself.
> - Mark

Mark, do you think we have met that need given the type of meta-model we
discussed at your house?

Luke