[om-list] Re: Pragmatism

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Mon Feb 26 17:54:56 EST 2001

Tom,

  Pragmatism and the simple faith have a lot in common.  Much of philosophy is
dead in the water because philosophers cannot prove the simplest things that
every rational person believes.  Instead, they have become permanently stuck
in an epistemological swamp.

Karl Popper is a good example.  I think that some of his ideas, at least as
understood by the outside world, appear to have done a lot of good in helping
people understand the basic requirements for a meaningful scientific theory.
However, to my great disappointment, it turns out his core philosophy is
irrational and absolutely un-scientific.  I quote David Stove on Karl Popper:

[BEGIN QUOTE]
What was novel about Popper's famous doctrine of "falsifiability" was not the
idea that negative instances disconfirm or "falsify" a theory.  The fact that
the proposition "All ravens are black" is disconfirmed by the appearance of
one white raven is a logical truism.  What was novel was the amazing thought
that positive instances do not - in principle *cannot* - act to confirm a
proposition or a theory.  For Popper, if every raven anyone has ever seen is
black, that fact gives no rational support for the belief that all ravens, in
fact, are black.  Scientific laws, he says, "can never be supported, or
corroborated, or confirmed by scientific evidence."  He goes even further: of
two hypotheses "the one which can be *better corroborated*, is always *less
probable*."  Whatever else these statements may be, they are breathtakingly
irrationalist.
[END QUOTE]

Needless to say, I have very little respect remaining for the ideas of Karl
Popper.  I can understand where he is coming from logically, but his
philosophical position is the exact opposite of scientific empiricism.

Logical deduction is trivial.  There is no statement producable by logical
deduction that contains any more information than the combination of its
premises contains.  Usually, it contains less information, i.e. constrains
reality far less than its combined premises do.  e.g.

All men are mortal & Socrates is a man =>  Socrates is mortal.

Basically, deduction is a method for throwing away information irrelevant to
the situation at hand, in this case that men other than Socrates are mortal as
well.

Scientific induction, on the other hand, is on much shakier ground than
deduction.  It rests completely on the idea of statistical determinism, that
is that statistical relationships measured under controlled circumstances in
the past will be repeated within a reasonable margin of error in the future.

Popper and company are coming from the point of view that since statistical
determinism is logically unprovable, there is no way a scientific theory can
be  "supported, corroborated, or confirmed by scientific evidence."

So what basis does one then have to believe in the process of scientific
induction and all conclusions reached thereby?  There is only one, namely
faith. In particular, faith that laws of nature actually exist and do not
change from day to day.  Faith that the those laws prescribe results that are
at least statistically determinate (like those in quantum mechanics), for
another.  And finally, faith that those laws are simple and elegant enough to
allow close approximations to be discovered by mere mortals through
statistical analysis.

Absent that faith, induction has nowhere to lead to and deduction has nowhere
to start from.

- Mark

--
Mark Butler	       ( butlerm at middle.net )