[om-list] Re: development tools for our project

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Tue Mar 27 22:11:06 EST 2001

I think we ought to write so that the same code could easily be a
console app, servlet (html interface), or other app--the underlying
class libraries would be the same.

I'd like it so that the basic code to add/edit/delete/search/navigate is
the same across all those situations, and that we simply tack on
different interfaces to fit different situations or needs. This is easy
in Java, and probably reasonable in C++. Unless we have a specialized
middle tier (later), the only real network protocol we might need is
database calls. Servlets make that middle tier nicely, so the protocol
between them and the database is just database cals (jdbc probably, in
our case, at least at first), and between the browser and the servlet is
http/html (or http w/ xml as browsers support xml more).

Would we need more than that? I think a web browser is a slick client,
within the limits of its capabilities. (Means we could even access this
on remote wireless devices without special coding of any kind!)  SAP has
their own special protocol, but I bet if they were starting over they'd
seriously consider just using a web browser instead of having their own
clients do it in their own way--other than that their model is similar.

Anyway, I keep thinking I should flesh out use cases but I get busy or
don't get as far as I want, so I'll try to dump what I have out for
y'all to review, and start coding something rudimentary now if possible.
I think the main think lacking (since the key part to code first is
really simple add/edit/delete/navigate stuff) is the data model
docs--could you maybe pump out a text description of each table, how it
relates to the others, and what goes in each one, w/ some of the
commentary from our meeting? (I remember there were things it looked
like one would put in the various tables but that wasn't what they were
for--your insights were good on what they really were for; I wish I had
taken much better notes.) That would be a great start and would help me too.

Thanks,
Luke

--
Help us put all knowledge in one bucket: www.onemodel.org.