[om-list] postgresql etc

Lee Howard redder at deanox.com
Fri Mar 30 12:33:48 EST 2001

At 07:06 AM 3/30/01 -0700, Luke Call wrote:
>Here's one guy's views on why to use postgresql instead of mysql for
>certain applications, of which ours is probably one. It's interesting:
>      http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html

No offence intended, but this reads like a bunch of technical bickering.  I
don't know how anyone is to come to any real conclusion about what's best
for them by reading it.  In most situations such as this I've approached
the solution by testing both and choosing whatever performed or suited me
better.  I do that simply because I do a lot of consulting, and it benefits
me to know my own preference in my line of applications.  In our case,
maybe it's not worth the bother.

>I am agreeing with Mark now that postgresql sounds good, and whatever
>web server and servlet engine. Pretty cool that such things are
>available free. Lee, what do you think?

It doesn't really matter to me.  PostgreSQL or MySQL - I think we're going
to get as much benefit from one as from the other.  I'm still quite vague
on the actual intended table structure and intended types of queries, which
I would need to understand before I could suggest a technical opinion.  But
honestly, I doubt that it would make a difference.

>Does Lee or Mark prefer to set
>these up?

No preference.

Lee.