[om-list] Re: MPL / GPL incompatibility

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Wed Oct 3 14:30:53 EDT 2001

Mark

    MPL just seems so flexible.  GPL has been likened unto a virus,
extending itself to anything that touches the previously infected software.
MPL stops on whatever source file boundary you wish.  And this seems very
good for the MTShell project, because some pieces will be need to be
proprietary (for Dan and TF), and some will need to be open (for you and
OM).  And I can take full advantage of everything we write as open source in
whatever next-phase of development we choose to adopt, whether it be open or
not.  I'm hoping that TF will see the value, and beg me to make a more
complete, proprietary system out of it in the next few years.  But I have
little or no reason to close those source files that we start with at that
point.  Those files can continue being open.

    Does that address what you were hoping me to?

    I don't understand why anyone would want to combine licences.  Wouldn't
the stricter license be equivalent?

tomp