[om-list] Re: MPL / GPL incompatibility

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Wed Oct 3 09:59:00 EDT 2001

Luke Call wrote:

> One drawback (or benefit, some would say) of MPL is that (if I
> understand right) no one can link GPL code with MPL code.

The practical way to fix this problem if you have some preference for
the MPL, is to adopt both the MPL and the (L)GPL.  The Mozilla people
are busy arranging to have all the source files triple licensed under
the MPL/GPL/LGPL for this very reason.

In my opinion you should either choose the LGPL alone, or some dual /
triple licensing scheme that includes the LGPL.  The MPL format for
keeping track of the original author and contributors to a given file
is an excellent idea in any case.

Do you care to comment on why you prefer the MPL, Tom?

 - Mark