[om-list] hello

Thomas and Megan Packer ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Wed Mar 13 12:02:02 EST 2002

Hello OM people

    In this letter, I'm trying out my new subscription to the OM list (I had
to change my addresses), and I'm going to suggest something:

    I looked at our subscriber list, and I don't recognise two of the
addresses there.  Furthermore, I have not heard from many of you -- or, that
is, I would never have heard from many of you if I didn't know you outside
of this list.  I feel like maybe I dominate the conversation, and would
invite the rest of you to freely talk or ask about anything you like.

    So, to start, I'm suggesting that everyone on this list (it's small
enough) write a little letter saying hello, and tell us a little about
yourself, including explaining your interest in OM.

    This is not mandatory.  Just a suggestion.

    I guess I should start:

    My name is Thomas L. Packer.  I just got married last month to the
former Megan George.  I'm finishing my last semester at Weber State
University, where I will be getting a bachelor of integrated studies degree
(triple-minor) in math, computer science, and zoology in May.  I plan to try
to get at least a masters degree in computer science in the next few years,
either from the University of Utah or from Brigham Young University.  Then I
will consider getting a PhD of some kind.

    My real goal is to start a business developing and applying the most
sophisticated and successful AI software in the world, software and/or
services which will create markets undreamed of right now.

    I currently work for Thoughtform Corporation, which develops waveform
data analysis software for the Windows family of OSes, which makes use of a
form of AI (pattern recognition) which can effectually increase the SNR
(signal to noise ratio) of certain signals such as brain waves.  I've worked
there for almost 6 years, during which time we have all spun our wheels
making virtually no progress, because of the business ineptitude of our
founder and CEO, and so I'm currently updating my resume and am looking for
another job -- as is Jeremy P. Almond, who is also on this list.  (Mark, are
you hiring?  Or do you know of any companies who are?)

    My primary interest with the OM project is the get some experience and
exposure to new ideas, related to the type of technology I plan to build a
corporation upon.  This technology will be composed of algorithms and
knowledge formatting structures of a very general-purpose nature, and of a
very high level (human-level), for general applicability and for complicated
problem solving.

    ciao,
tomp