[om-list] Open Source Search Engine

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Thu May 16 00:15:50 EDT 2002

Take this with a big grain of salt. After I wrote it out I started
feeling less confident about it so ignore anything that doesn't sound
quite right to you!

I think you might start by reading the programming-related writings of
Eric Raymond, especially the Magic Cauldron, which is about business
models--you might find it at www.tuxedo.org. There are some companies
that do seem to have successful business models, names and/or products
(whichever I can remember) include: sleepycat w/ berkely-db,
ghostscript(?), jboss, redhat.

I have never heard of one that tries to get people on board, then gets
them to come up with ideas, then they create a product. The ones I've
heard of that work start out w/ someone who creates something useful
enough for others to use, even very simple--then others are interested
enough enhance it because they use it and want it to work better. To do
it the other way sounds like more of a venture capital model.....? where
you hire people.

But maybe not. Ideas can go a long way and all that. :)

Luke.