[om-list] The Book "A New Kind of Science"

Rex Butler rexbutler at hotmail.com
Sat May 25 19:14:19 EDT 2002

Mark, Luke,

I haven't read the book personally, but from reading the summary and other
people's impressions of the book I'm less than impressed.  Wolfram's thesis
should be that CA are vastly underestimated, not that (Wolfram's, not anyone
else's) ideas about CA will "revolutionize science."  The ideas of chaos and
emergence in CA are well known and well established.  That you can compute
and simulate with CA isn't that remarkable either.  The fact of the matter
is, you can convert any question of in one area of math into a question in
another area of math, algorithmically even, but you only gain something when
the correspondence is natural.

I'm sure the book is remarkable exposistion of the topic, with a lot of
fresh ideas.  Still, we've heard the simplicity --> complexity, emergence,
chaos, etc, etc mantra before.

Wolfram uses the words "my" and "I" much to often, and his arrogance is
irritating.  Quite simply, The book should have been named "The Power of
Cellular Automaton".  Besides, the best way to avoid revolutionizing science
is to claim you will.

Rex Butler