[om-list] OM website

Thomas L. Packer at home ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Wed Sep 4 09:00:47 EDT 2002

Hello Rajeev

    School just started for me, so I have less time to respond quickly.

    What are these general principles of language?

    I think I've learned enough about natural languages to know that (1)
they have to be sequential in their concrete instances (there's no other way
to produce sounds rather than one after the other, in time), and written
language is always tied to spoken language in some way, and (2) in general,
whatever patterns there are, these can be represented as abstractions of one
kind or another, which is a kind of multi-dimensionality.  So, I will
completely agree that there is a practical need to represent language
multi-dimensionally, but it should be tied to the concrete form of language
which is linear, sequential.

    Eventually, I'd like to expand this language-definition to
not-so-natural languages, including graphs and tables, which are obviously
not sequential, even in their concrete instances.

    Also, to protect the other OM members from being too closely associated
with my words and ideas, OM has not decided to adopt any of my ASP ideas.
This is my own side project.

    Ok, about "mathetical", you're close.  Mathetical is the adjective form
of Mathesis, which is a word I am borrowing from Descartes, the famous
European mathematician and philosopher of the Age of Enlightenment.  He
wanted to invent a new, more universal mathematics, including a more
universal or general-purpose method of thought, which he was calling
"mathesis universalis".  About the time I discovered this, I became
interested in making a general model of knowledge, and a general model of
inference and thought, so I borrowed his term, which does seem to mean both
"language" and "method" at the same time, which covered one of my necessary
dichotomies: form and function, static and dynamic.

    So mathesis is like mathematics, but it is intended to be better.  I
intend it to be able to represent anything that mathematics can, as well as
all valid logic, and every other form of useful thought and inference.

    I'll see if I can find you links sometime.

    good luck,

tomp

Víðar sum quem nihil obstat.
www.Ontolog.Com