[om-list] Re: just waiting for the end

Thomas L. Packer at home ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Tue Apr 15 20:27:10 EDT 2003

Little Bro

    That sounds exciting.  It sounds like you could really have your pick of schools if you wanted.

    School is going well for me.  I'm learning to work harder, which is very good.  I'm taking a solid load of undergraduate computer science classes and doing well, and will start my first linguistics class next term, and my first gradate-level class soon -- I hope.  And I need to pick my thesis topic soon, too.  I hope to invent a successful interlingua for machine translation.  No one has done this, although many have tried.  That is the kind of challenge I have been looking for.  :-)  I just hope I'm not too naive and can actually do something useful in this field.

    Could you explain group theory?  I've heard of it, and it sounds like something important, but I really don't know anything about it.

    Also, could you tell me if there is a name for a branch of mathematics that deals with many dimensional spaces, especially a formalism that has the ability to take information about points or phenomena in space and to calculate the minimum number of dimensions necessary to represent that information?  I've heard of such a challenge accomplished in quantum mechanics and/or string theory; but I'm not sure how formally or mathematically it was done.  That is, I've heard that there are like 7 dimensions necessary to explain ... is it string theory or QM?  I can't remember.

    The reason I ask this is because I think it may be a key to my interlingua: remember "noetic vectors" as I called them once upon a time?  I think I would like to explore these ideas further and make a successful interlingua / semantic modelling language out of it.  This is right in line with OneModel, so should involve the rest of you guys in this, too.

    Good luck to you, too.  I hope your health is improving.

tomp

Víðar sum quem nihil obstat.
www.Ontolog.Com