[om-list] Dimensionality reduction

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Wed Apr 16 13:09:41 EDT 2003

Tom,

  Linear Algebra / Vector Analysis covers the basics of what you are
talking about.  Engineering majors typically take it in their junior
year. QM uses a infinite "dimensional" generalization of vector algebra
called Hilbert spaces, but that level of complexity is not necessary
unless you are analyzing continuous rather than discrete functions. (The
idea is to treat a function just like a vector, except with continuously
valued instead of discretely valued indexes).  String theory is *much*
further off the beaten path, and still lies in the realm of informed
speculation, from what I can tell.

In any case, linear vector analysis covers the mechanics of transforming
from one set of basis vectors to another, which is generally
accomplished by multiplying with a linear transformation matrix.
 Specific reduction algorithms are not discussed in such classes (or
textbooks), but they will give you a good basis for understanding books
and papers written in the field of dimensionality reduction, such as
this one:

   Geometric Data Analysis: An Empirical Approach to Dimensionality
Reduction and the Study of Patterns,
   Michael Kirby, Wiley, 2000

   http://www.wiley.com/cda/product/0,,0471239291,00.html

 - Mark B.