[om-list] Hello again

rajeev joseph sebastian rajeev_jsv at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 13:36:58 EDT 2003

Hello friends,

It has been a long time since Ive mailed this list. Sorry for being away!
Well, meanwhile, ive discovered the Mozilla browser and RDF. What this allows
me to do is, cut down on the thin client. And I can have an architecture like this:

  |------------------|                             |-------------------------|
  | Semantic  |    WSDL/SOAP     |  Apache axis   |
  | Client        | <------------------------>|   web                |
  |------------------| <--|                       |-------------------------|
                           |                          |   (<- double headed arrow) WSDL/SOAP
                           |    |-------------------------|
                           --> |  Apache axis   | <------->  Jena RDF
                                |   web               |
                                |    services       |
                                |-------------------------|

The Semantic client (written in Mozilla's cross platform front end XUL/JS)
can contact multiple RDF repositories, combining data from each.
Each server-like agent (written as Java web services handlers), uses
modules, each of which offer particular functionality -
- list of cities
- family tree
- product sourcing, comparisons
- human beings' capability hierarchy
- Dublin Core - for specifying authorship etc
- PRISM - content rights language
- FOAF or vCard : for identification
- Kerberos/GSS API : for security
and many other ontologies can be supported in a heterogenous network, using Mozilla like clients, and server implementing WSDL/SOAP and RDF.

TRIPLE (triple.semanticweb.org ?) is a language that is used to specifying processing of data in RDF knowledge bases i guess like Prolog. The important thing is, they provide not only a processer (which can be tied to XSB Prolog at the backend or used by itself), but also that the language can be specified in RDF/XML which leads to another of your requirements. Also will XMill, XML Sig, XML Encryption and others, we can offer better QoS and security for such intensive applications.

A Module is both server and client code. Modules are in a framework (Apache Avalon),
and can be loaded, unloaded etc. Each provide a set of web services (described by
an integration of WSDL/RDF). Each also provides an XPI of client code, which is
automatically downloaded and installed by Mozilla browser. The base thin client code,
can pick this up and install it along with other semantic client modules at client
side.

for applications written in Mozilla XPFE, go to www.mozdev.org
Mozilla Navigator, mail client etc are all applications of XPCOM components. One can write XPCOM in C++, Python and Ruby as of now. The front end itself is XML based language XUL, similiar to HTML. only Javascript scripting at present. Ability to use XPCOM components from JS code. also supports DOM, CSS and localization. Unicode support. Good WSDL/SOAP support (lacking attachments). RDF is used a lot in the browser code itself, and developer support is also excellent in the form of components. also look jslib.mozdev.org for an JS library which includes some RDF support.
I am writing a PoC module for the above architecture at lowry.mozdev.org
If it works well (and so far it has), i will be upgrading 2 other client modules
i have done. Been working on apache axis and avalon recently, so work on the servers
will be also up.

Please post any drafts of ontologies you may have in mind on the onemodel site.
Also, please post any thoughts on, especially disadvatages, of the architecture above.

Hope this helps
Rajeev J Sebastian

"wait ... " - mallu psychology