[om-list] Hello again

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Thu Aug 21 13:27:17 EDT 2003

Sorry for such a delay in responding, Rajeev. Good to hear from you. If
I understand it, you're describing ways to use these tools to build a
really slick RDF browser, right? Can this system be used for an
individual to not only traverse knowledge but to create/input knowledge,
without requiring a predefined taxonomy or ontology, but still allowing
full/free expression? Just trying to understand; I need to read more but
time is so limited. I wish I didn't have to sleep (or work, either one
would be great :)

I think any ontology I'd build would be not to specify what can be
created in a system, but to jot down what I happen to understand and
want to record at a given time. If we start with a useful system for
personal organization of all facts one needs to recall but don't fit
into a single uniform form and text is a pain for, and if that personal
organizer is a decent proof of concept of a knowledge builder/manager
thing, then we could extend it to allow collaboration of the knowledge
entered, incorporate upper ontologies like Cyc or something as a
knowledge foundation to build on (or others heree
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(computer_science)), and then
bulid algorithms for querying and manipulating the knowledge.

I can't read everything but so far I haven't seen anything that doesn't
depend on text or human language as the ultimate, basic representation
form. Seems to me it needs to be an object model that allows efficient
cross-referencing, doesn't depend on a single name for a single thing
(though unfortunately I haven't got the name flex. built into my system
yet), with external interfaces for tools that expect other formats. (as
per all the other long-winded notes in our old email archives :)

-Luke