[om-list] Relation Aspects

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Wed Oct 15 16:25:46 EDT 2003

Relation Aspects

As I mentioned before, I have implemented my data model using a rule
that there is only one relation between any two concepts.  The relation
itself is an abstraction - that nature of the relation is represented by
various evalative predicates from various commentators about the
relation.  Some might deny the existence of the relation all together,
some might affirms some aspects, but not others, and so on.

This has some very interesting consequences that I haven't entirely
become used to yet.  For example, I might be tempted to create a class
called Belief that is an sub class of Relation.  However, in order to
guarantee that only one relation exists between any two concepts, the
relation object cannot be characterized prematurely.  Characterizing a
relation as only a belief jumps the gun, because that relation may have
other aspects besides belief.

A relation between any two persons may have several independent aspects,
including parenthood, friendship, belief, love, trust, loyalty, and so
on.  All of those aspects have to be treated independently of the
relation object itself under the rule I have adopted. That doesn't mean
that the real world relation between two entities does not have
objective character, but rather that this rule requires strict
neutrality regarding the initial aspects and character of concepts and
relations.

In order to process common aspects of relations, I have created a new
helper class hierarchy rooted in Relation_Aspect.   A relation aspect is
very similar to a one of the definitions of the word relationship.
Relation aspects (or role specific relationships) are not normalized
model components in my scheme, so I do not store them as persistent
entities.   Nonetheless, they are very useful things to materialize at
runtime, when you want the answer to questions like "How likely is it
that X is the father of Y?"

 - Mark