[om-list] Relation Aspects (corrected)

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Wed Oct 15 18:56:19 EDT 2003

Relation Aspects

As I mentioned before, I have implemented my data model using a rule
that there is only one relation between any two concepts.  The relation
itself is an abstraction - the nature of the relation is represented by
various evalative predicates from various commentators about the
relation.  Some might deny the existence of the relation all together,
some might affirm some aspects, but not others, and so on.

This has some very interesting consequences that I haven't become
entirely used to yet.  For example, I might be tempted to create a class
called Belief that is an sub class of Relation.  However, in order to
guarantee that only one relation exists between any two concepts, the
relation object cannot be characterized by programmatic inheritance.
Characterizing a relation as only a belief jumps the gun, because that
relation may have other aspects besides belief.

A relation between any two persons may have several independent aspects,
including parenthood, friendship, belief, love, trust, loyalty, and so
on.  All of those aspects have to be treated independently of the
relation object itself under the rule I have adopted. That doesn't mean
that the real world relation between two entities does not have
objective character, but rather that  the character of concepts and
relations should be represented explicitly rather than implicitly.

   A relation aspect is very similar to a one of the common definitions
of the word relationship - e.g. the friendship between A and B.
However, relation aspects are also identical with the concept of an
relation attribute, so no additional classes are needed.

By the way, it seems to me that any symmetrical relationship must be an
emergent aspect of two asymmetrical relationships.  For example,
friendship between A and B is symmetrical, but it cannot exist on its
own, rather it is contingent on A's regard for B and B's regard for A.
If either aspect is missing, the relation between the two cannot be
characterized as a true friendship.

I like to think of a relation betwen two objects as consisting of light
flowing from one to the other and vice versa.  One wouldn't normally
confuse a photon travelling from A to B with one from B to A.  Any
transitive attribute (or aspect) of the relation must be characterized
in each direction independently.  It also seems that any symmetrical
aspect must be an emergent property of a one or more transitive
aspects.  Can a symmetrical relationship be grounded any other way?

 - Mark