[om-list] Cardinality

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Thu Oct 16 17:31:15 EDT 2003

Cardinality

Instance cardinality of concepts and relations is a key analytical
property.  For example, the concept father(s) has arbitrary instance
cardinality, because any number of men can become fathers.  The relation
father->son likewise has arbitrary cardinality.  However, John
Adams->son does not.  John Adams had, at most, a small finite number of
sons. Furthermore, the actual relation John Adams -> John Quincy Adams
is of definite cardinality one, as are is the case of all  relations
between physical entities.

In general if you have two concepts with possible instance cardinalities
of M and N respectively, the maximum number of possible relations
between discrete instances of those concepts is M x N.  But of course,
for many abstractions (love, mercy, justice, etc.), there is no finite
instance cardinality, nor even a countably infinite instance
cardinality, but rather a continous infinite instance cardinality.
Love, for example, is not countable, measurable perhaps, but definitely
not countable.  The manifestations of love (such as light) may be
quantitized, but love itself is ineffable.

Furthermore, from mathematical intuition, I am convinced that each
Cantor countable infinity (aleph0, aleph1, ...) corresponds to one or
more numbers.  Cantor cardinality is based on the concept of mapping
members of one set to another. Any pair of sets that are mappable to
eachother have the same Cantor cardinality.  However, the idea that
Cantor cardinality is indistinguishable from number leads to physical
absurdities, like the idea that a semi-infinite pole weighs the same as
an infinite pole.

Elaborating on Cantor, I suggest the true cardinality (number) of a set
has three aspects: Cardinality class (finite, countably infinity,
continuous infinity),  cardinality sub class (e.g. aleph0, aleph1,
....), and number within class and sub class (0,1,2,3,... for finite
numbers, others speculative).

Rather than modeling the properties of transfinite numbers, I have
adopted symbols for the minimum and maximum number within each
cardinality sub class.  That way I can clearly distinguish between the
maximum finite cardinality and the minimum infinite cardinality - a
distinction that is quite important in concept modelling.

For example, if I have a relation father->son, if I take both as plural
the possible instance cardinality is countably infinite, because there
are countably infinite numbers of possible fathers and possible sons. If
I hold father singular, the possible instance cardinality is finite (at
least in regards to mortality).

The upper possible cardinality bound in each case is a key indicator
that one is talking about the same concept in the same sense - something
that is absolutely critical for comparative logic and the reason why all
this talk of infinities is important for knowledge modeling.

Comments?

    - Mark

Example 16-bit cardinality representation:

enum /* cardinality classes */
 {
  CARDINALITY_FINITE               = 0x0000,
  CARDINALITY_COUNTABLE_INFINITY   = 0x1000,
  CARDINALITY_CONTINUOUS_INFINITY  = 0x2000,
  CARDINALITY_CLASS_MASK           = 0x7000
 };

enum /* cardinality sub-classes */
 {
  CARDINALITY_SUB_CLASS_MIN        = 0x0000,
  CARDINALITY_SUB_CLASS_ZERO       = 0x0000,
  CARDINALITY_SUB_CLASS_ONE        = 0x0100,
  CARDINALITY_SUB_CLASS_MAX        = 0x0F00,
 };

enum /* cardinality number (within class & subclass) */
 {
  CARDINALITY_NUMBER_MIN           = 0,
  CARDINALITY_NUMBER_MAX           = 0xFF,
  CARDINALITY_NUMBER_MASK          = 0xFF
 };