[om-list] big-screen reunions, "signs..." article from Mark, and LLC

om-list at onemodel.org om-list at onemodel.org
Mon Aug 2 11:57:00 EDT 2004

Some miscellany: wouldn't it be cool to have software that let families
use their big-screen TVs (we don't have one but lots do) to have a
family dinner w/ the remote relatives easily/conveniently? You could
share recipes so you're all eating the same food even. :)  Then if you
had one one each wall (like fahrenheit 451 or whatever by Bradbury had),
then you could have a few families doing it at once ,all lifesize, one
one each wall (i.e. ,family at a few dif't locations). Haven't figured
out how to do the ping pong, croquet or backyard volleyball game, but
maybe that's a networked game nicer than doom. Or Maybe that will happen
by itself as screens cheapen and pc integration grows.

I finally read the article Mark forwarded: "Signes, Proceses, and
Language Games". I was one of the token males at girls camp & read it
there (and our daughter is getting a drivers license and I'm only xx but
52 isn't too far off). Did not find it light reading like the newspaper
:)  but it was very interesting. I wrote comments in the margin but they
are now lower in the to-do pile than they were.

Ok, so maybe when I'm 52 or so I can retire and work on OM at least
part-time. I'm still hoping for 1/2 per day but so much to do in life
(yeah same old story, sorry for the repetition).

But when we or I do more on OM, it would be interesting to consider
forming an LLC (in idaho that's a limited liability corporation, so it
protects you from suits and provides a legal entity for a group to
operate under, but doesn't require the paperwork & formalities to nearly
the extent of a regular corporation). Then we could set up a form as
they discussed doing for the linux kernel, where if anyone contributes
they assign copyright to the LLC and say they aren't aware of any patent
hindrances etc., and then the LLC could have business model similar to
sleepycat, MySQL or SugarCRM (just read about them in news.com, ) where
we can sell the latest version (one older is free), or sell consulting,
or sell the right to create proprietary version branches (like mysql
does since they own the copyrights they can; w/in limits if needed unlss
I fear not getting to use the latest/greatest myself but we could say
their mods are GPL after 2.5 yrs or something), or sell
hosting/mangement services of the application. I would be flattered if
Tom & Mark were interested in joining such an LLC if we get to that
point. It's actually getting closer (I think?) to being useful from a
text-only standpoint but still really a long way off from others trying
t ouse it I guess. It also would still be distributed under GPL/LGPL I
suppose.

Comments welcome; but either way I hope you & yours are well & having a
good summer.

I just ordered my openbsd cd.

-Luke

-------
A really secure computer operating system (unix flavor):
http://www.openbsd.org.
"Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years"