Fwd: Re: [om-list]

om-list at onemodel.org om-list at onemodel.org
Mon Aug 2 12:45:51 EDT 2004

Hello Luke

	Interesting TV idea.

	I'm always thining about business ideas, and thinking about starting a
business or looking for others that might start one before I can.  I've
decided that I would probably start or join a start-up if two criteria are
met:  (1) the company will almost certainly be profitable, and (2) the
company makes use of my CS education in a way that benefits society.

	I have removed an older requirement, that of developing very particular,
semantic network software.  I don't want to get stuck in any dead-end
idealism like I was during my Weber years.  Though semantics is still
something of a goal of mine, it's not as important as the other two criteria.
The company has to be profitable, otherwise two things won't happen: (1) we
won't get a good income, which we need to support our families, and (2) the
company won't survive long enough to actually do what it was made to do.  And
the company should make use of my CS education, otherwise what good am I
doing there.  I suppose I could learn to be beneficial in other ways, but ...
that is less likely.

	Until then, I'm going to school to become a research computer scientist --
 as opposed to a normal computer scientists, I suppose, which acually has
 little or nothing to do with science.  :-)  I guess that's why they try to
 call them software engineers -- which is a fine job, just not as appealing
 to me right now.

	ciao,
tomp

On Monday 02 August 2004 09:57, om-list at onemodel.org wrote:
> [...]
> family dinner w/ the remote relatives easily/conveniently? You could
> share recipes so you're all eating the same food even. :)  Then if you
> had one one each wall (like fahrenheit 451 or whatever by Bradbury had),
> then you could have a few families doing it at once ,all lifesize, one
> one each wall (i.e. ,family at a few dif't locations). Haven't figured
> out how to do the ping pong, croquet or backyard volleyball game, but
> maybe that's a networked game nicer than doom. Or Maybe that will happen
> by itself as screens cheapen and pc integration grows.
>
> I finally read the article Mark forwarded: "Signes, Proceses, and
> Language Games". I was one of the token males at girls camp & read it
> there (and our daughter is getting a drivers license and I'm only xx but
> 52 isn't too far off). Did not find it light reading like the newspaper
>
> :)  but it was very interesting. I wrote comments in the margin but they
>
> are now lower in the to-do pile than they were.
>
> Ok, so maybe when I'm 52 or so I can retire and work on OM at least
> part-time. I'm still hoping for 1/2 per day but so much to do in life
> (yeah same old story, sorry for the repetition).
>
> But when we or I do more on OM, it would be interesting to consider
> forming an LLC (in idaho that's a limited liability corporation, so it
> protects you from suits and provides a legal entity for a group to
> operate under, but doesn't require the paperwork & formalities to nearly
> the extent of a regular corporation). Then we could set up a form as
> they discussed doing for the linux kernel, where if anyone contributes
> they assign copyright to the LLC and say they aren't aware of any patent
> hindrances etc., and then the LLC could have business model similar to
> sleepycat, MySQL or SugarCRM (just read about them in news.com, ) where
> we can sell the latest version (one older is free), or sell consulting,
> or sell the right to create proprietary version branches (like mysql
> does since they own the copyrights they can; w/in limits if needed unlss
> I fear not getting to use the latest/greatest myself but we could say
> their mods are GPL after 2.5 yrs or something), or sell
> hosting/mangement services of the application. I would be flattered if
> Tom & Mark were interested in joining such an LLC if we get to that
> point. It's actually getting closer (I think?) to being useful from a
> text-only standpoint but still really a long way off from others trying
> t ouse it I guess. It also would still be distributed under GPL/LGPL I
> suppose.
>
> Comments welcome; but either way I hope you & yours are well & having a
> good summer.
>

> I just ordered my openbsd cd.
>

> -Luke
>
> -------
> A really secure computer operating system (unix flavor):
> http://www.openbsd.org.
> "Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years"

Ciao,
TomP in BYU CS NLP

Check out my way of indexing information:
http://www.ontolog.com/LinkRanker