Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Oz -- Re: [om-list] ARC]]

om-list at onemodel.org om-list at onemodel.org
Tue Aug 10 08:29:58 EDT 2004

I am interested in (tho' still sort of a newbie at) Scheme, a lisp
dialect, because I learned in a class that it can do things other
languages have difficulty with, such as (ok, gotta get the book now...)
processing program code as if it were any other data, "currying",
"memoizing", powerful macros, and handling of "continuations".  We used
scheme to model other language features in fairly consise code. It seems
a little harder to get your mind around at first, but then lets you
think great thoughts, in a way, that I could not easily see doing in
python (which was my next choice). Whether all this will be practical or
just a great educational exercise for myself, remains to be seen. Dan
Friedman said (in about 1991) that when he asks whether something can be
done in scheme, the answer is always yes.

Scheme is also very portable and the language definition is short and
understandable. It is the language used in what some regard as the best
introductory computer science text (used at MIT course material now
freely available on-line): Hal Abelson's, Jerry Sussman's and Julie
Sussman's _Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs_.

Arc sounded good to me because it seems to address aspects of Scheme
that seemed "extra" or odd to me (lambda becomes just fn, for example).

I can probably put together a list of URLs if you're interested. There
was a "great computer language shootout", not scientific I guess but
interesting, where a lisp programmer completed the application in less
time and less code than anyone else. And if memory serves, it ran fast.
(Although that lisp programmer is probably smarter than most programmers
so had an advantage.) Another web page I remember discussed why they
felt lisp gave them a competetive advantage--it took their competition
much longer to write the same code in C++.

Many of the same things could be said about python, except the things
that seem like they let you think great thoughts. Scheme is extremely
expressive of concepts that just don't come up in other languages
because they're harder to express, and in that sense scheme/lisp are
very powerful.

So I'm using scheme for now as a (semi-experimental) scripting language,
or a language to write parts of OM in. Because (like python) you have an
interactive interpreter to write code, you know when you type it in and
hit Enter whether it worked or not. But the integration between scheme
and java in the OM program has eaten up a lot of my time on the project
lately. I keep thinking either it will pay off sometime, or be
educationally worthwhile, not sure which (I'd prefer both but we'll
see). The scheme implementation I am using is SISC.

-------