[om-list] Column Count in Code

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Apr 26 15:22:35 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:39:01PM +0200, burundanga at gmx.com wrote:
> > 80 has been standard line length for ages, and it matches the line
> length in some pulp fiction paperback book (I counted it once).
> And I can't get more than a hundred columns on my laptop screen unless I
> make the font so small I find it hard to read.
>
> I've noticed that about paperbacks as well, Mr. Boom, and always
> wondered if there was some connection (perhaps they have a common
> ancestor).

You've got a smaller laptop or worse eyes than I,

> Probably both.

> I keep my laptop terminals at 161 lines so I have room for two panes
> side-by-side.

It would be nice to do that on my laptop, but then the text is too
small.

> This actually lets me view the one model code just fine,
> so long as I don't open another pane.

This sounds like another argument for 80 -- for side-by-side panes.
But for code formatting, it won't bother me until I read or write code.
For use, it may well bother every user.

-- hendrik