[om-list] Column Count in Code

luke call luke350 at onemodel.org
Thu Apr 28 10:32:26 EDT 2016

On 04/26/16 13:22, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> This sounds like another argument for 80 -- for side-by-side panes.
> But for code formatting, it won't bother me until I read or write code.
> For use, it may well bother every user.

Thinking aloud:

In code: It seems like if anyone is coding in OM, and it helps them to
reformat sections they work in to 80-100 chars, go for it.  Your
contributions would probably be more valuable than a need for vertical
conciseness, and one can always reformat it to longer lines as needed as
well, right?

For limiting OM name sizes to 80 characters:

   pro: helps the demo for those w/ 80-column terminal windows, might
make OM more usable to them, and a "name" perhaps doesn't really need to
be longer than 80 characters, if we are really using it as a name, not
as the data (ie use TextAttributes a little more).

   con: Sometimes, it is convenient to "model" data as sentences to be
rearranged into actual text, or paragraphs where the containing sentence
is like a topic sentence (a gist, where one can decide whether to read
the paragraph or click the link or type the letter, to learn more).  And
80 characters seems short for a hard limit on sentence length.

   Possibilities:
1- a modifiable user preference setting (but raises a compatibility
question for data exchange).
2- try 80 for a while and discover some better solution for sentences or
add the OM conveniences to make sentences work better as fully modeled
info (per earlier recent thread).
3- maybe hendrik will decide to like 160, or it will actually be solved
with GUIs as burundanga at gmx.com suggests (to which I agree: other UIs
will be clearly needed, including mobile; hopefully I'll have some good
fodder for sharing discussions coming up).
4- make it word wrap better, cleanly (but possibly that effort is better
spent elsewhere for now)
5- some better idea

I'd be interested in comments, but especially if based on experience in
actually using OM for a while. Anyone?  :)