[Slowhand] Labels on Discs - Bad

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 8 15:06:02 EDT 2006

I bought a label kit (Memorex Kit and TDK DVD+R discs) and started to gussy-up some of my favorite discs both CDs and DVDs. I did a cursory test of a DVD to make certain that the label didn't adversely affect its playing by playing the first couple of songs - with no problem.

Well, I should have played to the end of the disc. After applying some really cool looking labels to about a half-dozen video discs, I found a problem. Starting mid-disc, the tracks skipped with increasing severity until the disc was "unplayable." What a bummer - luckily, I was able to peel off the offending labels, and the discs play w/o problem once again.

I don't know if I will encounter a similar problem with CDRs as I did with DVDs (+R).

I thought that I would pass my (bad) experience on to the Digest community... Can anyone offer an opinion (he asked innocently) as to what the problem might be? Too much mass?
De-labeled and Disgruntled,
Mel