[Slowhand] Labels on Discs - Bad

Matthew Brown matthewbrown at cattles.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 05:34:21 EDT 2006

Cd & DVD players have mechanismas in them to ensure the disc is centred and spins around its centre axis. High end high-fi will often use a heavy "puk" to keep the disc in place. What I suspect is happening with youre discs is the labels are not properly aligned and additional mass of the label is causing the disc to spin in an eliptical path rather than truely circular. CD/DVDs play from the centre out (as opposed to outside in for vinyl), as the laser gets further from the centre the effect will become worse and the error correction on the player cannot adjust for the laser missing the track and the disc will skip.

In essence more mass is a good thing as it smooths out the path due to the increased momentum, however if that mass is not exactly aligned it will cause the problem you are experiencing.

Different players have different tolerances so these discs may well play okay in some machines. However if the label is mis-aligned even slightly it will increase the work load of the error correction system in the player resulting in a loss of sound quality.