[Slowhand] John Mayall & Thanks to The Kelly's

debi bluesgurl2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 13:50:53 EST 2009

I agree it's great to see Slowhand come to life although the topic is not directly about "our man" so to speak, but John Mayall.

Actually, I'm grateful that Mayall is the topic as, I'm embarrassed to admit Clapton's time with Mayall is about the only era of his career that I don't know a lot about and I'm having fun learning by reading everyone's opinions.

Then I was astounded to get a notice that the Sacramento Heritage Festival (my hometown; which is a cow town despite it's size of 1.5 mil) is bringing none other than John Mayall here February 15 for a harmonica blowout with the esteemed Mr. Mayall, age 76, headlining.  I've never had the honor of seeing Mayall.

Don't know how many of the readers are into the blues club scene, but if you are, you're probably familiar with the name(s) Rick Estrin (formerly headliner and harpist for "Little Charlie & the Nightcats of Chicago,) Kenny Neal guitarist from Baton Rouge, featured on a recent cover of Blues Revue magazine, whom I managed to catch last summer at another Heritage event.  Quite impressive.  Two other musicians that I'm unfamiliar with:  James Harman, harpist and Michael Burks, guitarist.  They will be joining Mayall for this event.

So the timing for all the Mayall talk on the Digest and the news that he is headed my way makes for a great day for me indeed!

If any Digest readers live in the Sac region and want details re the concert, write and I'll provide the itinerary.  Better yet, let's meet and have a party.  The venue happens to be the best-kept secret in Sac; killer place to hear blues music.

On another note, I want to thank the Kelley's for their rapid response in coming thru for me regarding the 2 bootleg CDs that I requested in last week's Digest.  It seems no sooner was my request for help published and Jim and Linda had the CDs in the mail to me.

I also want to thank the many other Slowhanders from around the world who extended offers of help in getting the CDs to me.  I always said Clapton fans are the best people and it's been proven again.  Thanks much.

Final note:  hello to Lia, my kindred spirit in Italy.
Deb