[Slowhand] Ticketmaster..........

EddyPauley at aol.com EddyPauley at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 11:04:21 EST 2009

As you may be aware, tickets went onsale yesterday @ 10 AM on Ticketmaster
for the EC/Winwood show in Washington, DC.

I checked Ticketmaster last night and the show was not sold out as 400 level
seats were available. Out of curiosity I decided to check stubhub one of the
homes of Internet scalpers. Stubhub showed a total of 1,786 tickets for sale
for that particular event. I have attended a lot of events at this venue,
sporting and concerts, and the 1,786 tickets on Stubhub are approximately 11
percent of the total seats that will be sold (depending on whether seats are sold
behind the stage). The number becomes even more alarming when you consider
that the show was not sold out.

Not surprisingly none of the tickets were offered for face value all were
marked up considerably, x3 or x5, or more. These are not fans buying and selling
these tickets -- it is Internet scalpers.

How is scalping on the Internet different from scalping on a street corner?
Dude on the corner can get arrested depending on the location. Internet
scalping goes on unchecked.

How do we know that Ticketmaster (which has it's own scalping website
TicketsNow/TicketExchange) is not a willing partner in the scalping?