[Slowhand] please stop whining

Shanahan mowdamowda at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 21:26:43 EDT 2009

Ken,

I love the passion. A good boot up the proverbial always works wonders.

I feel pretty much the same as you do, mainly because I have only had the chance to see EC three times in the past 18 years, living here in the antipodes.

Had I the chance to see Eric on a regular basis as those in the States, Japan and Europe, I too, would probably compare performance to performance.

As it is I'll thank Eric's brother every opportunity I get to see him live, and will NEVER complain, as I always find too much to marvel at with each performance(Wonderful Tonight the obvious exception, due to my shortcomings not his)

On a slightly different note, I would love to see Eric do one or all of the following at some stage:

1) Record an album of covers that mean something to him and not necessarily with a view to be a big seller (is that allowed these days?), Here But I'm Gone springs to mind, and also along the Losing Hand vein.

2) Try something with a different producer, with a different agenda, with a different band.

3) REALLY do a collaborative studio project with someone (where it is 50 - 50, not doing the "Eric with" show, more of an "Eric AND" show. A studio version of the SW & EC springs to mind, but with new material from both. A big ask I know.

We've had the blues tour, Cream reunion, B.B. King, J.J. Cale, Steve Winwood, Jeff Beck and they're all great. Listen, I could never tire of Cream, so it's not a case of 'enough already', it's just that I feel there is SO much more with Eric that he hasn't explored fully.

I often think of what Jimi would be doing today, or even mid 70's for that matter.

Okay, just my twopence worth.

Cheers

Tone