[Slowhand] "Ragging" and "Whiney" comments

Phil Jones pjones at doodlesite.com
Fri May 29 13:37:40 EDT 2009

Re the negative comments made about EC's performances this year.

Since when has this list been censored and only pro-EC postings allowed?
We've all got our opinions and are entitled to them. Telling me to "STOP
IT!" when I've forked out 80quid for a ticket, then another 80 for hotels
and 60 for rail fare and then think I've seen a gig which is not exactly
EC's best is not on.

I've sat here reading glowing reports of the very same gig I was at and
thought to myself "fine, that's their opinion, but I don't agree with it" -
but I'm not going to post to the list saying "no, you're all wrong for
saying how great you thought he was". We were asked earlier on last week
"where are the reviews of the RAH shows?" - so I posted mine up - and it
reflected how I felt.

Personally, I don't think Eric made any mistakes per-se during the gig I was
at (16th May) with regards to his playing abilities or being 'on' - his
biggest error has been in judgement with his set list and letting Tim Carmon
anywhere near a keyboard.

I've been lucky enough to see many EC gigs over the years, some brilliant,
some average and some ropey. This one falls into the ropey category (along
with the Birmingham NEC gig of October 1993). I did end my comments
earlier this week saying how great the Clapton/Winwood MSG DVD was, so I
think I am capable of being objective about things.

As long as we're on topic, long let the comments continue (positive or
negative).

Cheers
Phil