[Slowhand] Ragging and Whining

Steve slowhand.net at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 08:22:28 EDT 2009

The "Ragging and Whining" debate has been interesting. It seems to me
that negative comments often have a positive side. For example, I
once observed that the July 30, 2004, concert in San Jose was better
than the July 31, 2004, show in the same venue. This could be viewed
as a negative comment toward the July 31 show. In truth, both shows
were excellent.

I believe it was Richard B. who said that Eric Clapton seems to really
shine in on-off situations as opposed to his regular tours. This is
an observation that I may have realized on one level, but never quite
formulated conciously. I don't take this as a negative comment, but
rather as a positive commentary on recent extraordinary performances
such as the shows with Winwood, the Crossroads Guitar Festivals, the
Allman Brothers guest spots and the London Cream reunion.

I can't remember who observed that "I Shot the Sheriff" is a good
indicator of how the entire show will be. Extraordinary version of
"ISTS" = Extraordinary show. Average version = Average show. There
is some negativity to that comment, yet it seems to be an accurate
rule of thumb.

I enjoy considering the opinions of others even when my opinion
differs. For example, Mel B. once told me he could have done without
"No Face, No Name, No Number" during the recent Clapton/Winwood shows.
Yet it was a high point for me because it was one of the songs on my
beloved "Best of Traffic" album - an album so good that I actually put
it in the oven to try to fix the warp that resulted from my brother
leaving it in direct sunlight.

Clapton has often been accused of being lazy when there are other
guitarists in the band. I believe he has even used the word to
describe himself. More recently, though, he has said that he plays
differently if there is another guitarist in the band. Call it what
you like, but Clapton has had this tendency for much of his career.
During my first Clapton concert, I remember thinking the then 29 year
old Clapton was washed up because George Terry was playing most of the
lead guitar.

I doubt anyone on this list has ever asked for their money back after
a Clapton show. Many of the members of this group have travelled
around the world to see Clapton. I appreciate the opinions of such
fans, whether positive or negative.

Steve