[Slowhand] Jeff Beck more than technical

PETER GASKELL pgaskell at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 7 13:28:34 EDT 2009

DeltaNick writes: << From a technical standpoint, Jeff Beck is very talented. But I think that's where it ends. For example, I have never heard him play a decent blues solo. He tries, but he misses the mark by miles. On the other hand, he seems to be content making sound effects with his guitar.>>

I can’t agree with you there, Nick. Jeff Beck can play with real feeling. Listen to the Blow by Blow album especially ‘Cos We’ve Ended As Lovers’. Here he does it with Eric..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZshJfWzgmok&NR=1

As for the Yardbirds, check Evil Hearted You. His guitar playing combines more menace and eloquence than I can remember hearing on any pop song in 1965 (as a 12 year old!)

And he can play with great delicacy. This after EC left the stage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcEQlWcYS_4&feature=fvw

Pedr