[Slowhand] Slowhand Digest, Vol 13, Issue 161

Rick Batty rickbatty at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:32:47 EDT 2009

Nick,

As we all know, music likes and dislikes are very individual. I was
very much into the Jeff Beck "Truth" album when it came out and then
"Blow to Blow". But there was no comparison in my preference for EC
over JB for many, many years. However, with seeing JB live at the
Warfield in San Francisco in about 2001 / 2002, his music started to
appeal more to me as I found what I had missed during the 1980s when I
never heard him on the radio. I was blown away by his set at the 2007
Crossroads Guitar Festival.

For me, emotion in guitar playing is at the top of the list. It might
be the aggression of Cream's "Crossroads" or the sadness / pain I hear
in "Old Love" or "Communion". For me, I'd put JB's "Where Were You",
"Angel Footsteps", "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" and several others
right up there with my favorite EC. I've been loving Jeff's version
of "Jerusalem" done with David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall this
summer. I wrote to both of them suggesting they do a studio version
on the new album JB is currently recording.

When you say "Clapton, Green, and Taylor are real guitarists", I think
you might find strong disagreement from Mr. Clapton himself and many
others.

Cheers,

Rick