[Slowhand] E+JeffB

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 7 16:06:44 EDT 2009

I think, Nick, that you're being a bit harsh with Jeff Beck. Clapton commented admiring of his playing saying that he "pulls" the notes from his guitar.

I found his playing entertaining on the two occasions when I saw him play, CGF2007 and at the Fox in Oakland this past spring. He has a "stage presence" that I like, a "physical" style that is, again, entertaining.

I've heard him play admirable blues licks, though admitedly, this is not his signature sound. I like his "uniqueness." I enjoy his new band too! I recommend the Ronnie Scott's dvd very highly.

I don't listen to his music very often, but when I'm in the mood, it's fun to watch a dvd. I can listen to Mark Knopfler and/or Clapton all afternoon or days at a time, but with Jeff, I'm done after an hour or so. But then, that's me with jazz in general. I like it but in small doses generally.

As for Lead Zepplin - I like what Robert Plant is doing NOW a lot! Also, he's very-very cool and a lot of fun - great sense of humor and "stage presence."

Cheers all!
Mel