[Slowhand] EC vs JB

Gerd Klaassen mail at klaweb.de
Sat Oct 10 15:02:33 EDT 2009

Well,

my first post since a long time - the list was pretty
lame the last months... ;)

Since EC's Crossroads I box set I'm searching for another
guitar player I can listen to indefinitely. Just to get some
variations in my playing list. I knew JB from the Yardbirds,
from some Rod Steward songs, read much about him from other
guitar players, so I bought my first JB album and got totally
disappointed. Bought another, still the same. It was like
listening to someone applying all possible things to a guitar,
but it gave me nothing. I mean, I play guitar myself, I even play
fingerstyle and I'm light years behind his technique, but his
playing doesn't touch me.

I searched and listened to many many other players, but still
found no EC alternative yet. I re-discovered Albert King (and
Freddie too), but there's not that much live material to listen
to.

As for the 3 groups - EC defined a totally new sound in the 60's.
Although he didn't apply any "new" techniques like tapping etc...

To sum it up, in this case I'm pretty much with DN.

Keep on,
Gerd
http://12bar.de