[Slowhand] Slowhand Digest, Vol 13, Issue 166

Shevawn Eaton seaton1 at niu.edu
Mon Oct 12 16:34:52 EDT 2009

I came out of lurking to state that I agree with Delta Nick on this Jeff Beck business. And I must say that Nick and I have rarely agreed on much of anything on all the years I've been on this board.

I was at Eric's Guitar blast in Chicago in summer of 08. It was a bloody hot day, the place actually ran out of cold bottles of water, serving warm ones after awhile.

Since the 70s, in my debates on Beck vs Clapton, no one has ever been able to justify to me why Beck is the more talented. Different, yes. Talented, I suppose so. But not at all to my taste. Eventually, I just shut up during such discussions, thinking it must just be me that doesn't like him.

All I can really say after seeing Jeff Beck's live performance on that hot day, is that when he took the stage, a combination of dehydration and screechy techno guitar playing gave me a horrendous headache. I left my seat and took to the shade behind the stadium until his set was over. I could vaguely identify the songs through the abstract guitar noise. But my companion for the evening was blown away by the same performance I had to leave for the comfort of my ears and my head.

So, it just served to prove that he is definitely an acquired taste, and there will be no agreeing on his talent with those of us who like screeching and those of us who don't.

Peace, friends.